Monday, August 31, 2009

Fish Fry


Well, mine didn't look exactly like that in the picture, but close enough.

Yesterday we had Stephanie and Chad over for a Perch Fry. The Perch were some we'd caught while at Keystone. Saturday we'd stopped at the local farm stand (Stade's) for sweet corn, cucumbers, tomatoes and green pepper. Their sweet corn is wonderful! The kind that dribbles down your chin in lovely sweetness with every bite. Nirvana!

I fixed the Perch as my mother and grandmother did before me. I can't even remember when I first fixed fish...I'm sure it was as a child...just don't remember. It's done very simply. Dip the fillets in an egg-milk wash, dredge them in flour-salt-pepper mixture, saute in olive oil (we used to use butter or shortening, but those days are long gone) until golden brown. Nothing fancy. With fresh fish that's really all one needs. The fish is flakey, tender and delightful. Nothing gets in their way.

I also fixed potatoes with onions. Now, here I repent. The flavor depends on a buttery taste, so I've been using I Can't Believe It's Not Butter...and lots of it. We don't have these often anymore, they are a sinful delight. Saute the onions, add sliced potatoes and get them a little brown around the edges, add a 1/2 cup of water and simmer on low for 20-30 minutes. Yum.

I added a side-dish of fresh, sliced cucumbers, tomatoes and green peppers.

Oh, Steph and I sipped a Reisling that went quite well with the fish. And dessert, about an hour later, was vanilla ice cream with Smuckers Dark Chocolate topping.

It was a good, honest, filling meal.

No comments: